Friday, April 12, 2013

When I See it

I weep sometimes when I see pictures of the Parthenon.

I am an emotional man you see, I'm moved to tears by extreme beauty, extreme joy, anger, frustration, and rarely despair.

The Parthenon though, it brings me to tears because of a realization. In my life time, Hellenists will probably not achieve that glory, that wonder, that beauty. Hell, I'm beginning to wonder if I can hope for a temple to be erected in my life. Even religious faiths which are boisterous and more popular and well known often have trouble erecting temples or places of worship, though some have managed it. If practitioners of Shinto can erect a shrine in Washington, surely we will be able to erect a temple somewhere?

And when I say temple, I'm talking about a *real* temple, a temenos, not a room in the back of someone's house.

I find it a hard pill to swallow. I don't want to swallow it, I don't want to believe it, I don't want to think it true.

But something in my heart knows that it is the truth.

Sometimes the truth sucks

Parthenon by Mr G's Travels on Flickr




No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Texas
A young man living in North Texas. He is an actor, a Hellenistos, and a proud member of Hellenion.