Sunday, March 31, 2013

A Joy

Today a joy swells in my breast. A sudden, beautiful joy that rolls and boils, like a convection current, it rises, and it falls slightly, and rises again. This cycle continues again, and again, and again. It will not stop. What has caused this?

A few things

There are a wonderful group of kids that I get to well, sort of teach, I guess, I just ask them questions mainly, I don't have to handle the curriculum.  At any rate today they were selling shirts, and we joked around and talked, I placed an order for their shirt. They were working together so they could go on a trip for the Youth Group, and let me tell you, seeing those kids working together like that made me happy.

A woman was moved by me telling her of my dad's improving social conditions and of him finally getting a car. She was genuinely happy for him, so much so that she teared up a little bit. That moved me, and made me feel joy knowing that there are people who can rejoice in other people's joy like that. That made me happy.

A new family came to the UU Church today, a wonderful and gregarious Jewish woman. We talked for a while at some length, we smile, joked, and I asked her about Judaism. She invited me over for Sabbath Dinner sometime, and that, well that made me happy that someone would be so readily hospitable.

Reverend Pamela Watt and the intern Scottie MacIntyre Johnson gave a wonderful sermon today about overcoming the little challenges of life, and she helped even me relate to the story of Jesus's Resurrection. She showed me (and everyone else in attendance) about how it can be used as a jumping off point for behaving more kindly towards our fellows, and overcoming things that seem impossible to face sometimes. It touched me, it moved me, and it brought me joy.

Most of all though, I am happy knowing that if I walk for about two minutes, I can be at the Denton Unitarian Universalist Foundation. It makes me so happy to know that I am part of such a wonderful, beautiful, diverse, and vibrant group of people, and knowing that, that brings me more joy than I can possibly describe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Texas
A young man living in North Texas. He is an actor, a Hellenistos, and a proud member of Hellenion.